You may already know that Roku is a device for streaming that enables users to watch their content on their televisions. Yes, the stick can connect your streamed content to your TV, but you can also connect it to any other supported devices to stream your online videos. Roku provides over 5,000 channels, including private and secret channels. Before we go deep into this topic, let’s first get acquainted with some of the important information to help you understand how this streaming device works.
How to set up your Roku streaming device
First, simply connect your Roku device to any HDMI port on your television. After you have made this connection, you will see the various steps for the initial setup. The next thing to do is to connect your device to the internet. Then, you follow the information that appears on your screen to create an account (but if you have created a Roku account in the past, you can still sign in with it). After this basic step, default applications to use will be installed automatically. Some of the apps that will be installed are Hulu, Netflix, VLC, Amazon video, and many more.
Roku comes with some default channels, but these channels rarely fully satisfy the user. So, as a user, you can search for more channels other than the pre-installed ones. Official channels can be added from the Roku store. You can still add some other free channels, third-party channels precisely, that are available on your streaming device. To gain access to these third-party channels, you will be required to install them by using the channel invitation code. To add these free channels, you can use the manage-account -> Add channel option. With this method, official and private channels can be added to your device.
Best free channels to add to Roku
Here, we will list out some of the best private Roku channels with their invitation code. You can use this code to add these channels to your account. All the channels have the same procedure. Let us begin with the first on the list.
- Nowhere TV – The invitation code is H9DWC
This is one of the best channels that can enable you to watch different channels like Bloomberg News Live, BBC, C-SPAN, TED Talks, CNN, Al Jazeera (English, Arabic, and American), Universal Sports Network, PBS, CBS News, Adult Swim shows, and many more.
- Wilderness Channel – The invitation code is fl821095
This particular channel can be best used to replace NAT GEO Wild and other Animal channels. This channel features nature, hunting, survival training, fishing, and many more. You can also find the series Man vs. Wild on this channel.
- The Internet Archive – the invitation code is NMJS5
This channel has a collection of TV shows, old films, and cartoons. This channel can help you remember your childhood.
- Amateurlogic – invitation code (Alogic)
If you want to learn from what you stream instead of just watching TV shows and movies, this channel should be great for you. It features photography, raspberry pi, amateur radio, computers, and other projects.
- Maddy Mation – code: MADDYMATION
If you love anime, then this channel will suit your needs. Maddy Mation features cartoons and anime including independent ones. There are no ads and your children will love it.
To install Roku private channels, visit the official website of Roku and click on “My Account,” sign in to the account you have created, go to manage account and choose “add channel with a code.” After the add channel has popped up, input the invitation code, go to the channel and click on “add channel,” then click ‘OK’ if you see any warning. Next, click ‘Yes, add channel’ for confirmation, and then you must wait for up to 24 hours to see the channel on your Roku. If you can’t wait for 24 hours, enter settings>system>system update, and you will see the channel.
Best free channels to Roku – no code required
- Choose from over 200 local news broadcasts from around the country.
- For foodies and travel junkies, Eater allows you to have your own “Eat, Pray, Love” experience in your living room.
- FilmRise Free TV
- Sorted by genre, this app offers thousands of free movies and TV shows.
- Baby Boomer TV
- Classic TV shows on demand, including favorites like Bonanza and The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- NASA TV UHD
- Explore the NASA space program’s past, present, and future in 4K and HDR.
- If you like podcasts, you’ll love this collection of over 1,000 free podcasts as well as over 230 music, sports, and news stations.
Each streaming entertainment app on Roku releases new content every month. Below are some highlights of TV shows premiering on Roku apps in April 2020, along with the name of the app offering the shows:
Challenge: Total Madness, MTV
- The Challenge has been on television for 22 years, and each season seems to be better and more intense than the last. The Challenge is required viewing for fans of competition reality TV.
- The Real
Housewives of New York, Bravo
- Like The Challenge, this is a reality show, but there are no physical challenges or cash prizes. Tune in if you can’t get enough of the drama.
Quinn, DC Universe
- Harley Quinn is single and determined to make it on her own in Gotham City.
- Part 4 of the series that follows a group of high-stakes robbers.
Amazon Prime Video
- This is a quality crime/detective show only on Amazon.
Dreadful: City of Angels, Showtime on The Roku Channel
- In the same vein as Bosch, Penny Dreadful follows detectives working on a murder case in Los Angeles from 1938.
New on Netflix in April (click for full list)
- The Iliza Shlesinger Show
- Nailed It!
- Mortal Kombat
- Sherlock Holmes
- Taxi Driver
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Doctor Doolittle
- DisneyNature shows
- African Cats
- Monkey Kingdom
- National Geographic
- America’s National Parks
- Wild Yellowstone
The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way movies are released, at least for the time being. As movie theaters close, movie premieres must either be postponed indefinitely or released online for people to stream from home. Many films are taking the streaming route, and we’ve listed some of the best straight-to-streaming releases below along with where you can find them:
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (VUDU, FandangoNOW, Prime Video, Apple TV, Google Play)
- Just Mercy (VUDU, FandangoNOW, Prime Video, Apple TV, Redbox)
- The Invisible Man (VUDU, FandangoNOW, Prime Video, Apple TV, Redbox)
- Bad Boys For Life
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Trolls World Tour